Next Generation Science Standards
- Next Generation Science Standards website
- Next Generation Science Standards Adoption and Implementation Workbook
- Next Generation Science Standards Fact Sheet
- National Research Council
- NAEP Science Results News Statement
- Opportunity Equation website
- OverAchievers: Next-Generation Science
- International Science Benchmarking Report
- Benchmarking for Success
- Achieve APEC Report
A joint effort between the National Research Council, the National Science Teachers Association, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Achieve is underway to create the foundation for all students to have a solid K-12 science education.
The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) will be K-12 science standards created through a collaborative, state-led process. To date, 26 Lead Partner States are providing leadership to the writing teams and to other states as they consider adoption of the NGSS.
The new standards are being drafted based on the Framework for K-12 Science Education, which was developed by the National Research Council, the staffing arm of the National Academy of Sciences, and released in July 2011. The vision laid out in the Framework identifies what students need to know and be able to do to be a functional citizen, which includes being scientifically literate and an effective member of the U.S. workforce.
Learn more about the Next Generation Science Standards here.